I am still working on “Ariel.” I’m writing and playing everything except for the live percussion parts. Poultry is producing those parts. Any additional programming I’ll do in the last stages of the tracking phase.
Last week I was in a Google hangout with a friend and fellow writer/performer. I happened to be in the studio working on some parts and had my guitar on my lap. We were chuckling over a few acoustic, cover songs on YouTube and hacking our way through them ourselves having a good time. His wife brought their little son over and I started playing a new melody I was kicking around, “Never Wrong.” He then asked that I send over a scratch of that song, saying that it was really memorable. I was hoping that if I sent it over, he’d make some contributions to a few of the parts that were lacking, especially the lyrics, since most of the song except for the chorus is a bunch of na na nas.
So, I took a quick break from “Ariel” to scratch out a rough of “Never Wrong.” Once I started working on it I couldn’t stop going back over the song form. It wasn’t working out the way it was written. I tried a few different variations until one finally stuck with me. I knew it worked because I slept on it. The next morning I was still humming it start to finish.
This morning I started the day off by getting that rough together. I had a few working parts, enough to get it down and get back to “Ariel.” However, while tracking, I stumbled across an intro and chorus guitar part. After tracking the whole thing, na na nas included, I took a break. Only a few minutes later I was making chamomile tea (with buckwheat honey) and humming a bridge part, and subsequently, a new intro. I went back into the studio and started working it out again. Maybe tomorrow I get a working rough done so we can get past the na na nas.
Then I can go back to “Ariel.”