A few weeks back I promised to upload some results from the UV Box. Let me first say that I am not all too familiar with the process, entirely. I’m not the photographer. I simply built the box and wired the lamps.
I remember there was citric acid, there was a pestle and mortar used to grind other crystalline components, and some ammonia. I remember seeing a tray of water. I apologize for not knowing the process but if anyone wants to know, just leave a comment below and I’ll post it.
This was a cutting of a picture to test the process.
There was a glass over the negative in the UV box that was making them a bit dark. Then the glass was removed and they were in the UV box for only 2 minutes or so.
Here’s a comparison between before and after the bath.
Another look at the before and after. The next series of photos will show a portrait from fresh out of the UV box through the final wash.
Here’s what I know. The paper gets prepared by soaking in a solution then dried. Depending on if it’s going to be cyanotype or van dyke brown will determine what it gets soaked in and what you do after it’s exposed. Then the negative placed with the paper in the UV box for only a couple or few minutes.
Then this went for a soaking. This is Earl Grey tea. The recipe calls for tannic acid. So, Earl Grey.
You can see the image coming to life in the soak.
Still soaking. Getting lighter.
Then transferred over for a rinse.
Back to the tea bath.
After checking this out, scroll back up and see what it started out like after coming out of the UV box. I thought this was pretty neat stuff.
If anyone is more interested in exactly how this was done, I can get the information and post it. I just wanted to post something that came of the UV box I built a little while back. These were the test runs before the project was started.