Here’s a quick run down of the UV box I built for alternative processing of photos. It gets a test run in a few days. After the first photos are done I’ll see if the photographer will let me post the results. (Sorry about some of the blurry pics. iPhone in low light.)
I started by building a box. It was about 28″x24″. I put handles on it to make it easy to move around.
I put a cabinet handle on the front to make it easy to open.
I was gonna need some tools and supplies for the wiring and installation of ballasts and lights. My favorite tool here that I used was the clam shucking knife. Only REAL pros use those for a job like this.
I laid out the fixture, ballast, and removed the wires.
One of the ends had to have a hole punched out for power. Then I added a wire clamp to the opening.
I punched a hole, added the clamp. Now it was time to put the ends on.
I didn’t have the male ends for this connector to the ballast. This supplies power to the ballast. I have bulk electric cable for it.
Bulk power cable to connect to the ballast.
I cut the connector off the ballast.
Using the wire nuts, I connected the power to the ballast.
After wiring the power I fastened the connections for the bulbs.
After the connectors for the bulbs are in, I put the ends on. Here’s the clamp for the power cable.
Clamped the power so it doesn’t pull out.
I made sure to tape the wire nuts.
I taped the wires to the fixture if they were bulky.
Everything was tucked in nicely and ready for testing.
The bulb works on both sides.
Repeat four more times.
I screwed them into the ceiling of the box and put the covers on them.
Needed to cut some holes for the power to leave the box.
Power leaving the box into a generic surge protector.
All the bulbs are installed and ready for final test. These are UV and will sunburn you. Don’t stare at them and don’t leave your skin under them long.
All the bulbs are working fine. Finishing touches left.
Put feet on the box.
I put a couple of clasps on the front door and called it complete.